What and Why
The inspiration for today's post is a question I often find myself asking Hunter and Wally. It occurred to me this morning that I say it quite often and it usually follows the unwarranted consumption of something...SOMETHING...they seem to have found on the floor or in the grass...maybe even on each other.
This morning's incident occurred on our way out of the garage for our quick, before-work walk. I was putting on my shoes when out of nowhere I hear Hunter slurping up something with his tongue and proceeding to crunch and chew away at an object that was more than likely non-edible (a term used loosely in the dingo world). "What and why?" I questioned out loud to him. Translation..."What [did you just eat] and why [in the world did you think you needed to eat it]?"
Last night it was Wally chewing on a piece of plastic shattered from the dropped fabric softener bottle. "What?" when we saw him laying on the floor shuffling something around in his mouth, followed by "Why?" when we discovered what it was and yanked it from his mouth. It can't possibly taste good, so what's the inspiration?
The attraction to "irresistible" items, I can kind of understand - chewing gum abandoned on the sidewalk, cookie crumb trails from the daycare kids next door, and even the olive droppings from the trees on our way to the park, kind of makes sense. But then there's the randoms...the "Whys?" in full force. Those items that just boggle my mind - deer poop, landscaping bark, the lowest branch of our apple tree, cigarette butts, cat poop, and worst of all...the leftover remains of something - the "What?" - DEAD!!!
If we're lucky, we intercept the item before the swallow and my frantic plea to "Drop it!!!" solicits an immediate response to spit out the item. But sometimes (and usually when it's utterly disgusting), there is no way that thing is coming out of their mouth. And that's when I ask..."What...and Why?"
0 comments:
Post a Comment