It's a good day when...
...you stay upright for an entire run with Wally-dog. Yep...that's right...Wally and I went for a 7-miler this morning and managed to avoid a disaster similar to what took place just one week ago today, which involved me falling near-flat on my face.
Here's the back-story. In addition to stops for unannounced piddle and poop breaks, Wally has also developed a habit of stopping - UNANNOUNCED - smack dab in front of me to sniff. Sniff what, you ask? Hard to say, but more than likely something you would not want anywhere near you or your loved ones. In other words, something dead, decaying, or regurgitated. It's all part of the blessing of being a dog. Everything smells utterly delicious. Anyways, last week Wally had been making sniff stops at intervals that seemed to be hitting every tenth of a mile. My patience was wearing thin towards the end of the run. Reason being, this behavior not only interrupted our pace, but would send me jolting to a halt comparable to clamping down on just the front brakes of your bike while cruising downhill. The result would send me into a near catapult over the "handle bars", which in this instance were represented by Wally's butt.
With only 1 mile left to go in the run, Wally made a sniff stop that caught me in a moment of blissful inattentiveness, meaning I'd forgotten the potential for Wally to cause me pain and potentially broken bones. Yes...I was chatting away with Danni (running buddy) and not paying attention when before I knew it, Wally sent me flying...stumbling...reaching for something to hold me up with the only wherewithal to know that I had to save...my....FACE...FROM HITTING CONCRETE! At the last second my heavily padded mittens came flying forward and kept my teeth from knocking pavement. Wally stared at me with a hint of "oops" in his eyes and Danni's pup Sonja immediately ran to offer her support - administering kisses to the inside of my mouth (because that's where the pain was, right?). I shouted a few expletives at Wally - in between dog-tongue first aid I was receiving - and Wally got the point that he had messed up big time.
Fortunately, the temp was around 20 degrees that morning so all body parts were well bundled and safe from "road rash." The knee was a little sore from hitting hard, but I was able to hobble on for a few and get back into the groove for the remainder of the run.
I'd like to think that today's success (Wally had minimal sniff stops) was due to the fact that Wally remembered what tragedy he ALMOST CAUSED and felt remorseful, thus forcing him into good behavior. Yeah right! I know...I laughed too when I typed it, so don't feel bad for laughing as you read it.
All I have to say is one day at a time with these pups. Remember the good and forget the bad - this way they'll always be our angels.
*Note: Hunter wasn't able to join this week's or last week's run because 7 miles just isn't his bag. He does get to join in on the other, shorter runs though. It's hard to leave him when you can't explain that the 'ole hips will appreciate it.
I'm so glad there were no falls today!
Danni said...I'm so getting the dog thing now. My sister's lab and basset hound got me in quite a mess yesterday. Tangled leashes and down I went! GLad you were ok with no stitches!
Iris said...